Irish Potato Coalition Where We Work
The Coalition will initially work across six countries, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, Mozambique, Malawi and Uganda and will be coordinated by Vita in Ethiopia.
It will rapidly expand to cover other countries that have expressed interest in engaging such as Angola, Rwanda and Eritrea.
The Potato Coalition will provide a practical approach, defining the necessary steps to set up a collaborative framework, a common approach for baselines and impact indicators and best practice guidelines to create an effective, sustainable and equitable value chain.
Country Level Approach
To realise the potential of the Coalition approach requires functioning country based coalitions.
To this end three countries (Ethiopia, Uganda and Kenya) are fast tracking the process. The country based coalition creates an active platform for stakeholders that:
- Promotes the role of potato in the national agenda
- Facilitates knowledge transfer and learning
- Promotes integration of development, research and business
- Develops best practice & replicable models for the sector
- Collates reliable and relevant potato sector data
- Coordinates linkages between relevant programmes
Members of the country coalition benefit through having greater access to knowledge, leveraging the value of science & technology, enhancing access to funding and most importantly creating more sustainable impact across the value chain.